Friday, January 17, 2014

Great Reads for Teens: Keturah and Lord Death

"I will tell you . . . a story of magic and love, of daring and death, and one to comfort your heart. It will be the truest story I have ever told. Now listen, and tell me if it is not so."
Keturah is a girl who follows a hart (male deer) into the forest one day and ends up getting lost.  When she is about to die from starvation, she's visited by the majestic Lord Death, and she convinces him to spare her life by telling him a story--one of her captivating talents.  Lord Death agrees, and Keturah is allowed to go back to her village for one week, within which she must find her one true love. If she succeeds, Lord Death will grant her her life. If she fails, then she must return and tell Lord Death the rest of the story, after which he will take her life.  The book in itself is actually a story within a story that Keturah is telling us, hence the caption above. 

Oh, how I loved this book!  It was given to me for Christmas by one of my writer friends, Sarah, who by the way, has never recommended a book to me that I haven't bought (which means that I LOVED it!) Keturah and Lord Death was one of those books that just...I don't know, get's under your skin and resonates with you in a heart-wrenchingly good way. I've read  it several times, and each time I am amazed at the simple elegance of Martine Leavitt's writing style--so beautiful.  But it's a fantastic read for teens--squeaky clean, with an unexpected romance. Love! Love! Love!

I highly recommend Keturah and Lord Death to anyone age 12-100!



No comments:

Post a Comment