Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"Other Souls" and Soul-deep Writing

So, I've had a few questions about where the "other soul" concept of my book came from, and I've decided that I'm finally going to answer them here. 

The fact is, I took that concept from my own personal life.  For as long as I can remember, I've felt like there was one person out there for me--just one.  Call it soul mate/other soul/predestined, whatever, I've just always felt like I was meant to be with one specific person, and when we found each other, we'd both know it.

Well, fast forward 15 years, and I had a fairly significant experience that compounded that belief like, a million times.  That experience affected me so much that dating in college was pretty much misery.  I'm sure a lot of people feel that way, but imagine never being able to get past a first date without knowing the other person isn't for you--even if you like the guy/girl. 

As you can imagine, I went on a lot of first dates, because it just didn't feel honest doing otherwise, especially when I knew the relationship wasn't going to go anywhere.  Oh, there were a few guys I dated for longer than that, simply because I wanted it to work out. But if I'd been really honest with myself, deep down, I always knew they weren't the one.

All through those miserable dating years, everyone was always telling me that there was no such thing as soul mates--that you could marry any number of compatible partners and be perfectly happy.  As much as I wanted to buy that concept with a particular boyfriend here or there, I just couldn't.  Somehow my heart knew better. 

Fast forward again to age 20--October 2003 to be exact--and in walks a rather dashing red-headed man.  Never mind the fact that the moment I see him, a little voice in my head whispers: "there he is!" Never mind the fact that at first I don't even realize how physically attractive he is because all I can manage to notice is his soul, blaring out at me like a strobe light.  And never mind the fact that he is the first guy to ever look into my eyes and actually see me; you know, the real me, my soul--core deep potential, flaws and all. 

Sitting across from this guy on our first date, and feeling like I've known him all my life--like I've finally come home after a very long time--I know he's the one.  And I later find out that he's known I was his "one and only" since before our first date. 

So, after all that and eight years of more happiness than I could've possibly imagined, no one can tell me there isn't such a thing as soul mates. After all that, how could the idea of a soul mate not find it's way into my book?

Because of my own experiences with writing, I wonder about other authors while I'm reading their books.  I can't help asking how much of their soul is in their writing?  How much of what they write represents their core values, beliefs, or experiences?  Is it even possible to write something as involved as a novel without pouring your soul into it?

What do you think?  Have your beliefs and life experiences ever found their way into your own creative ventures? 

2 comments:

  1. Hannah,

    Sadly my muse decided to go on my run for me and so finding adequate words is difficult (not to mention spelling them), but here I go.

    SO CUTE!!!! I absolutely love this story and it only makes me more resolved to make sure I hold out for the right guy. No settling for me!

    Shaylanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a wise woman, Shaylanne. Very wise indeed.

    ReplyDelete