Thursday, October 20, 2011

Book Review: Supernaturally by Kiersten White

I fell in love with Paranormalacy when I read it, and so I pre-ordered this book as soon as I finished it.  But I only just finished it night before last. 

Here's the summary as found on amazon.com:

"Evie finally has the normal life she’s always longed for. But she’s shocked to discover that being ordinary can be... kind of boring. Just when Evie starts to long for her days at the International Paranormal Containment Agency, she’s given a chance to work for them again. Desperate for a break from all the normalcy, she agrees.

But as one disastrous mission leads to another, Evie starts to wonder if she made the right choice. And when Evie’s faerie ex-boyfriend Reth appears with devastating revelations about her past, she discovers that there’s a battle brewing between the faerie courts that could throw the whole supernatural world into chaos. The prize in question? Evie herself."

After I read Paranormalacy, I was completely smitten with Evie.  Her voice was so strong and completely hilarious, and while there were glimmers of that voice in White's second installment, I didn't quite take to Evie as well as I did in book 1.  Nor was I as taken with her and Lend's relationship.

Also, it could've been my disjointed reading of the book (I didn't read it in one sitting like I read Paranormalacy) but the plot seemed a bit vague in areas.  I felt like there were some major questions unanswered.  That being said, there is one more book in the series and perhaps White will answer all those questions then.  Perhaps book two was merely a more complete conclusion of book 1 and set up for book 3, which is often what 2nd books in trilogy's are for...right?

So there you go; my honest opinion:  I'll still read the third book, but I probably won't rush out to pre-order it.  I might just wait to borrow it, and if I like it enough, then I'll buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment