Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Newsie Tuesday and a Tip

Just an update on the manuscript:  I've received it from my editor and am feverishly working this week to implement her suggestions--she is brilliant, btw, and has been so fantastic to work with. 

Now, as for the writing tip this week, since I'm really stretched for time, it will be a short, but potent one.  It is based on a quote from Stephen King in his book On Writing.   He says: "The scariest moment is always just before you start." 

If you have any sort of emotional investment in your writing--which if you don't, you should seriously consider a new career since writing a good story requires emotional investment--then you understand this quote as well as I do. 

I can remember when I first started writing Cobbogoth, before I'd told anyone besides my husband that I was attempting to write a book; the fear of beginning, was almost paralysing.  There were moments when my throat would completely close off when I tried to talk about it. I was so afraid of opening that very private part of my mind and soul to someone else, because for so long it had always been there to comfort me when other things didn't work out. 

As writers, the story inside our heads and hearts is usually what gets us through the crap that happens in our every day lives.  For me, writing has and continues to be an anti-depressant.  If I can write even just for an hour every day, then I am a happy balanced person.  So, when you take the plunge and decide you're going to lay your secret soul on a platter for the world to share, and criticize, your taking a very serious risk, one that requires an extraordinary amount of courage. 

However--and this is the point I want to make--if you don't decide to be brave and share your story with the world, you will never know what it, and you could've become if you had.  I can tell you in all honesty, without any regrets, that even if I had known all the blood, sweat, and tears that would come with writing Cobbogoth before I began, if I just had a teensie, weensie glance of what it would be when I was finished, I would take that first terrifying step again and again.  There is nothing more satisfying than knowing that something you have slaved over brings others joy.  And that's a fact. 

So, either you take the plunge and experience that incredible joy and satisfaction of sharing your story with others, or, you stay quietly content keeping it to yourself.  Neither is bad, it just comes down to what you ultimately want out of your writing.  You decide.

Okay, so this post wasn't that short.  But hopefully it helps you get past any beginners' fear.

1 comment:

  1. thank you that was completely inspiring. i freeze before starting anything from writing to painting. ug. if i can just let go....
    thanks again. truly.
    k

    ReplyDelete