Thursday, May 26, 2011

Book Review | Elantris By Brandon Sanderson

Brandon Sanderson is an LDS Fantasy author, and my friend Sarah, recommended this one to me a long time ago. I must say although I've written a somewhat fantasy/adventure novel myself, I'm not a huge fan of "high" fantasy, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The main theme of the book is religion and political intervention, and of course, love. Sanderson's views on different political takes of "church and state" are really interesting, and some of the ideas in this book were frightening, but totally applicable to today's world.
The love story is first rate and realistic which I always like, and the character development was really phenomenal. I love both the heroin and the heroes. It's told from three different people's point of view. I also loved the idea behind Elantris itself. It's so interesting to read books with a writer's perspective. It's like taking a look into another writer's mind. Brian Sanderson has a very cool mind.
All in all, I was very impressed with it. It wasn't the type of book I had to sit down and read in one sitting because there was just too much to digest,(which was actually refreshing) but I was always thinking about it when I wasn't reading it. If you're looking for a good read, I recommend Elantris.

No comments:

Post a Comment